Public Awareness: Consumer Information
Information by Jurisdiction: Siting Information
The Public Service Commission is statutorily charged with the siting of energy conversion and transmission facilities under the North Dakota Siting Act, which is codified in Chapter 49-22 of the North Dakota Century Code. The purpose of the Siting Act is to ensure that the location, construction, and operation of energy conversion facilities and transmission facilities will produce minimal adverse effects on the environment and upon the welfare of the citizens of this state by providing that no energy conversion facility or transmission facility shall be located, constructed, and operated within this state without a certificate of site compatibility or a route permit issued by the Commission.
The legislature stated that it is the policy of this state to site energy conversion facilities and to route transmission facilities in an orderly manner compatible with environmental preservation and the efficient use of resources. Site and routes should be chosen to minimize adverse human and environmental impact while ensuring continuing system reliability and integrity and ensuring that energy needs are met and fulfilled in an orderly and timely fashion.
For specific information about the siting process and the protections it incorporates, please refer to the Laws, Rules and Guidelines links listed on the left hand side of this page.
- Certificates of Corridor Compatibility (210kb pdf)
- Certificates of Site Compatibility (54kb pdf)
- Energy Conversion and Transmission Facility Siting: PUD-1 (276kb pdf)
- Filing An Informal Complaint (203kb pdf)
- National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC)
- National Regulatory Research Institute (NRRI)
- Participation and Process in Major Utility Cases (225kb pdf)
- Siting of Energy Conversion and Transmission Facilities (17kb pdf)
- Protection from Electric and Natural Gas Disconnections (223kb pdf)
- Route Permits (294kb pdf)
- Siting Applications as of 1/19/17 (278kb pdf)
- Model Environmental Siting Ordinances (49kb pdf)